Dr Raqib Chowdhury
|Job title:||Academic Language & Literacy Development Advisor|
|Qualifications:||BA (English), MA (English Literature), MEd (TESOL), PhD|
|Phone:||+61 3 990 55396|
- English for Academic Purposes
- Culture and Pedagogy
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- English Teacher Education
- English as an International Language
- International Education and International Students
- Chowdhury, R., & Phan Le Ha (2014). Desiring TESOL and International Education: Market Abuse and Exploitation. Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- Chowdhury, R., & Kamal, M. (2013, upcoming). Conformity or empowerment: The challenges of critical needs analysis in an EAP course at the University of Dhaka. In I. Liyanage & T. Walker (eds.) EAP in Asia: Negotiating appropriate practices in a global context. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers
- Chowdhury, R., & Kabir, A. H. (2013, upcoming). Language Wars: English Education Policy and Practice in Bangladesh. In R. Kirkpatrick (ed.) English Education Policy in Asia and the Middle East. Singapore: Springer
- Abdilah, H. & Chowdhury, R. (2013). Gender and motivation: A case study of Iraqi immigrants in Melbourne. The International Journal of Arts & Sciences. 6(1), 231-239
- Roshid, M. M. & Chowdhury, R. (2013). English language proficiency and employment: A case study of Bangladeshi graduates in Australian employment market. Mevlana International Journal of Education, 3(1), 68-81
- Bao, D., Abdilah, H. M. & Chowdhury, R. (2012). EFL learners moving to an ESL context: Motivating and demotivating factors in English language learning among Iraqis. The New English Teacher. 6(1), 125-144.
- Chowdhury, R., & Farooqui, S. (2011). Teacher Training and Teaching Practice: The Changing Landscape of ELT in Secondary Education in Bangladesh. In L. Farrell, U. N. Singh & R. A. Giri (Eds.), English Language Education in South Asia: From Policy to Pedagogy (pp. 147-159). Delhi: Cambridge University Press.
- Chowdhury, R., & Phan Le Ha (2008). Towards locally sensitive and meaningful pedagogy in ELT: Bangladeshi perspectives. Asia Pacific Journal of Education, 28(3) (Special Issue, September 2008), 305-316.
- Chowdhury, R., & Farooqui, S. (2008). Teacher Training and Teaching Practice: The Changing Landscape of ELT in Secondary Education in Bangladesh. Paper presented at the International Conference on Language Teaching & Learning. Hungkuang University, Taichung, Taiwan. 5-7 June.
- Chowdhury, R. (2007). Fetishising TESOL: Professionalism in International TESOL learner-teachers. Paper presented at the Cultural Studies Association of Australasia (CSAA) Annual Conference. University of South Australia, Adelaide, December 6-8.
- Chowdhury, R. (2006). Reflections on Western TESOL pedagogies: Vietnamese and Bangladeshi perspectives. Paper presented at the 4th Asia TEFL International Conference. Seinan Gakuin University, Fukuoka, Japan. 18-20 August.
- Chowdhury, R. (2006). TESOL Marketing: Student Identity as a Site of Conflicting Forces. Paper presented at the 16th Biennial Conference of the Asian Studies Association of Australia (ASAA). Wollongong University, NSW, Australia. 26-29 June.
- Chowdhury, R. (2005). Paradoxes in the Cultural Dichotomy of TESOL Marketing. Paper presented at the Monash Education Research Community (MERC) Conference, Melbourne. 6-8 July.
- Chowdhury, R. (2003). International TESOL training and EFL contexts: The cultural disillusionment factor. Australian Journal of Education, 47(3), 283-302.
- Chowdhury, R. (2001). Fearful Symmetry: Cross-cultural Paradoxes in Adopting CLT at the University of Dhaka. Unpublished M Ed Thesis, Monash University, Melbourne.
- Chowdhury, R. (2003) English Two (Textbook of the SSC Programme of Open School of Bangladesh Open University) [co-author]
- Culture and Politics (2002) - Essays in Honour of Professor Emeritus Serajul Islam Choudhury a Festschrift, The Dhaka University Press, Dhaka [entry]
- Chowdhury, R. (2001). To West or not to West? The question of culture in adopting/adapting CLT in Bangladesh. Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bangladesh, 46(1), 183-194.
- Banglapedia: The National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (2001-2003), Asiatic Society of Bangladesh, Dhaka [entries and translation]
- Chowdhury, R. (2000). Colourless green ideas: Teaching grammar in the EFL class: a rethinking. The Dhaka University Studies, 57(2), 33-53.
- Advancing English Skills (1998), Department of English, University of Dhaka, Dhaka [co-author]
See Raqib Chowdhury in the Monash Research Directory
Code-switching and its implications on pedagogy and learning: A case study of a Japanese university
Teachers' perceptions towards the English-only policy: A case study of Secondary Schools in South Korea
Bilingualism in Indonesian children: The influence of second language acquisition on first language competence
Pre-service English Teachers Professional Identity Formation within the Teaching Practicum: A Case Study of Riau University, Indonesia
Multiethnic discourses in EFL materials for tertiary education: A case study in Manado
Access to English language and literacy programs for Iraqi and Afghani women in Melbourne
English education and employability - A Case study in the Readymade Garments Industry in Bangladesh
Coping with Communicative Expectations: Current Iraqi TESOL Students at Australian Universities
Studying ESL in Australia: Motivations and Influences on Iraqi Migrant Muslim Female Identities
Iraqi immigrant families in Australia: Motivations to learn English
Research group membership within the Faculty
I am a member of the following research group(s) within the Faculty of Education: